Benoit Chambers has the right talent pool and mix of seniority and expertise to provide commercially practical solutions to different contentious matters. Our area specialists and litigators have developed a culture of working closely together and devote considerable resources in terms of in-depth legal research and collective brainstorming sessions with attorneys and clients to ensure a thorough analysis and preparation of cases.
Our commercial practice includes corporate disputes, insolvency, banking and finance, tax litigation, shipping, planning and development, civil fraud, and international arbitration.
We appear before various specialised tribunals and we have successfully appeared in landmark cases before the Supreme Court of Mauritius and the Judicial Committee of the Privy Council.
We have dealt with the following matters, amongst others:
- Interim and interlocutory injunctions, freezing orders, search and seizure orders, urgent applications before the juge des référés
- Proceedings on breaches of the Companies Act including derivative actions, breaches of directors duties and corporate fraud
- Intellectual property disputes including reviews of the decisions of the Controller of Industrial Property and the Industrial Property Tribunal
- Applications for the approval of local and cross-border schemes of arrangements
- Minority oppression issues in the context of private partnerships
- Proceedings by liquidators against directors for wrongful payment to creditors
- International litigation and arbitration including proceedings under the International Arbitration Act 2008, jurisdiction issues and conflicts of laws
- Enforcement of arbitral awards and foreign judgments
- Expropriation disputes pursuant to Investment Promotion and Protection Agreements