We enjoy a unique advantage, drawing from the experience of Rishi Pursem, SC who is recognised as a leading practitioner in administrative law and more especially in the field of judicial review. In his former role of Assistant Solicitor General, Rishi has represented public authorities in a significant number of judicial review cases.
As a practice, we act for aggrieved parties across various sectors including real estate development, insurance, agriculture, utilities, public procurement and employment of public servants. Further, we have successfully appeared both for the Bank of Mauritius and the Financial Services Commission in relation to the challenge of their regulatory powers.
The team commands significant respect for its ability to litigate commercial matters in a public law context.
We are regularly instructed in the following matters:
- Constitutional challenge of decisions and acts of the State
- Review of decisions of Public Service Commission, Disciplined Forces Service Commission and Local Government Service Commission
- Judicial review of administrative actions and decisions
- Appeals relating to Building and Land Use permits and Environmental Impact Assessment licences before the Environment and Land Use Appeal Tribunal
- Review of decisions of financial regulatory bodies
- Review of public procurement awards before the Independent Review Panel
- Compensation as a consequence of the compulsory acquisition of land